Requirements – Study in Italy

This page has been created to help you understand how to apply correctly. When you want to join a University course you must be sure you send useful material to be evaluated. All the paperwork, the documents, must be valid, understandable, and official.

When applying for a university course in Europe, it is almost certain that you will need one or more of the documents we show you in the following paragraphs. The situation is different if you graduated from the European Union or if you graduated abroad. Let’s understand how to handle it.

University degree

When it is necessary to provide your degree, consider that the University always means a degree certificate or, even better, a legalised translation of it. Remember, it’s always suggested to provide the higher qualification you own. If you own a Bachelor’s degree but also a Master’s degree (An Msc for example), better to show the MSc. As the legalized translation should not be enough to understand the level of your title, the next steps are almost always needed.

Diploma supplement

The diploma supplement is produced by higher education institutions. It is designed as an aid to support the recognition of academic qualifications and provides additional info about your diploma/degree.

Usually, if you graduated from European Union, a diploma supplement can be enough to evaluate your qualification, but often it should be accompanied by the transcript of records. Remember, since the diploma supplement was born with the 1999 Bologna process it is possible that it may not be producible for your degree if you graduated a long time ago.

Read more about the diploma supplement on the EU website.

Transcript of records

A transcript is a certified record of a student throughout a course of study having full enrollment history including all courses attempted, grades earned and degrees and awards conferred. It usually clearly states the amount of ECTS earned. You need to provide it together with the diploma supplement. Usually it is part of the Diploma Supplement.

Dichiarazione di valore

If you want to study in Italy and you graduated abroad, you could produce the dichiarazione di valore. This document can only be produced by the Italian Embassy or Consulate in the country where you obtained the degree. Unfortunately sometimes it can take months. Below, some alternatives.


The ARDI Statement of Correspondence, the Statement of Comparability and the Statement of Verification are accepted and preferred by many universities as an alternative to the Declaration of Value and/or the Diploma Supplement. They can be produced by CIMEA.

CIMEA is the official Italian centre within the NARIC – National Academic Recognition Information Centres – network of the European Union and the ENIC – European National Information Centres – network of the European Council and of UNESCO.

Take a look at the FAQ section below.

What does CIMEA do?

CIMEA supports academic mobility in all its forms and facilitates the understanding of the components of the Italian and foreign higher education and training systems and promotes the principles of the Lisbon Convention in the field of academic qualification recognition.

What’s the Statement of Comparability?

It is possible that the university organising the course may ask students – especially if they graduated outside the European Union – to produce a document called a Statement of Comparability. This is a certificate sometimes necessary to understand whether your degree is comparable to the one required for admission to the course. CIMEA issues it.

HOW TO get a Statement of Comparability by CIMEA?

Take a look at the tutorial we found on YouTube.

On March 18, 2024, CIMEA released a new website where it is easier to understand what you can do and what steps to follow. Find it here: